Monday, June 6, 2011

You say," why?".... I say, "why not?"

As I sit here amidst all my stress over the GRE, I can’t help but daydream about the biggest adventure of my life that is rapidly approaching. Last summer, as my new roommate and I sat on the balcony of our unfurnished apartment over a glass of sweet red wine, we discussed our passion for traveling and how amazing it would be to backpack Western Europe. You say why? I say Why not? 335 days later here we are anxiously awaiting our destiny. Thousands of things are going through my mind, am I doing the right thing? What is the right thing? Will I have the time of my life or will I be homesick? Can I survive two months with the comfort of my own bed, a pair of heels or a curling iron? Am I mentally and physically prepared for this journey? Is there a way to prepare for all of these unknowns? All of the questions will be answered in 30 days from now as I fly from the U.S. to Canada, to London and ultimately start my adventure in Lisbon, Portugal. According to the itinerary, I will end up in Spain, a place that I consider to have the most fascinating culture. I will finally be amongst the people that I for so long only dreamt about. As I stare at the maps and reread the folded over travel book pages I can’t contain my excitement. The hardest part is over. I am a free bird as of June 23rd from the corporate world, which I plan to never return to. Fearing, but also embracing the fact that I am not tied down to anyone or anything; it is so liberating. Where will this journey take me? Follow me; the world is my playground… 

No comments:

Post a Comment