Sunday, July 10, 2011

but mom, I dont want to leave yet!

In a nutshell I love it here and I dont want to leave. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. In the past four days we have traveled to Belem, Sintra, and Cascais. Our hostel the Travelers House was awesome and we met so many people. The first night we went on a tour of Lisboa and experienced authentic street fado, which is singing. We ate chorizo and tapas and drank sangria. The nest day we headed to Belem it was beautiful we went here http://www.mosteirojeronimos.pt/pt/index.php . The tower of Belem had an amazing view of the view river where we saw a sail boat race.  After the tower we stopped along the river at a cafe where we had our first taste of Portuguese beer called Super Bock.  Belem is where the famous Portuguese pasteries originated and they are to die for. Served with expresso and topped with cinnamon and powered sugar. Sintra is by far my favorite place so far. We visited two palaces my favorite was the Pena palace the gardens were absolutely beautiful. We explored the grounds via underground passage ways that we complete with waterfalls and grottos. After exploring we headed to a local restaurant off the beaten path and had lunch. The food is delicious mainly based around fish.  Cascais was a beach town reminded me much of Miami. We didnt get a chance to swin but enjoyed our visit nonetheless. At night we headed out with friends from our hostel to have drinks outside. Here it is legal to drink in the streets at anytime anywhere. The bar district is insane at night. So many people and over 200 bars and clubs within 1 square mile. Needless to say  i am having a great time here. Overnight train to Madrid tonight.... until then adeus! btw my Spanish has gotten so much better and I can actually communicate with the Portuguese rather well!

1 comment:

  1. Court, I am so proud of you! This is amazing . . keep posting! I am so jealous and so proud of you for taking this leap! xoxo

    ReplyDelete